Location: Virtual (live or recorded)
Auditioning for all sections
Email Mr. Shearer if you would like to audition, email@example.com
Upload video to your school Google drive account and share with email above.
ABOUT THE JAZZ ENSEMBLE: The MHS Jazz Ensemble meets as a class during the 2nd semester and performs at home basketball games and several evening/weekend concerts.
Repertoire for saxophones, trumpet, trombone, guitar and bass:
“Amen” from Jazz Conception by Jim Snidero:
Click your instrument to download music(.pdf): Alto, Tenor, Bari(alto music), Trumpet, Trombone, Guitar, Bass
- play at least the first 2 Choruses of the etude
- try to play up to tempo
- swing 8th note style
- Bass should also walk a bass line to the chords indicated
- Note: Bass players should be able to read standard music notation
- Guitar should also “comp” the chords indicated
- Note: Guitar players should be able to read standard music notation
Scales – C, F, Bb, G, D (note: these are not concert pitches, do not transpose for your instrument)
- Scales should be played in smooth and connected 8th notes at a tempo between 72 and 90 bpm
- Play for good tone, pitch accuracy and clarity
Repertoire for drums:
Demonstrate the following styles alternating 4 bars of time with 4 bars of solo:
Fast Swing, Slow swing, Funk, Ballad, Jazz Waltz, and any Latin style
Repertoire for piano:
Choose something of your own that demonstrates your ability to play and read jazz music. Click here to download “Amen” from Jazz Conception by Jim Snidero as an example or to use as your audition.